Cake walk through Atlanta

15 Jul

And now the moment you’ve all been waiting for: the Pecanne Log centerfold of Thomas Wheatley-designed cookie cakes. I alluded to these last month for the BurnAway fundraiser/Lot & Parcel and I know a lot of people didn’t take us seriously. I didn’t take us seriously, but then after making 13 batches of cookie cake batter (=2 sticks of butter each) I came around and realized this was really happening.

And then after the bake sale, I wanted to wait a little while to celebrate that we pulled this off in case anyone who took one of these cakes home died (the BeltLine one was pretty undercooked in the middle) (metaphor!). I am happy to say we sold all but three, one of which was secretly devoured by the bar volunteers (they deserved it) and the other two of which we kind of phoned in when we decorated (we deserved it).

First, a few words about the creative process. Not to brag, but I can decorate a high-quality cookie cake (birthday party caliber) in five minutes flat. Thomas is still struggling with expressing himself in an efficient manner via decorative gel. It was really hard for me to hold back when I wanted to mentor him artistically yet not smother his creativity. Often he wanted to use hot pink buttercream frosting to recreate architecture that would look better in a more natural color and with a more delicate line, but I had to sit back and let the Olympic Spirit carry him. Sometimes I would lose my patience and covertly churn out a design (anything you see below that uses cursive script, obviously).

These are all issues we’ll have to work out when we quit our day jobs to bake and decorate Atlanta-themed cookie cakes full time.

Westview Cemetery

(Click any to enlarge.)

"Tha" BeltLine

Old 4th Ward

Piedmont Park

Ponce de Leon Avenue

Diamond Lil

Willie B. ("4 Gov")

Izzy ("What What")

Sherwood Forest

Bike Shorts Man

The Mall at Peachtree (Five Points)

Pittsburgh

South half of MARTA rail

If you need us to interpret any of these for you, just ask. You know how we “artistic types” can be sometimes.

A million trillion thanks to Savage Pizza for providing the pizza boxes.

12 Responses to “Cake walk through Atlanta”

1. carig Thursday, July 15, 2010 at 11:13 pm #

Best post ever. EVER!!!!! I think I’ve lost my voice from laughing.

2. Thomas Wheatley Thursday, July 15, 2010 at 11:28 pm #

Oh, man, that Beltline one had the massive chunks of chocolate in it. So wanted to devour that wonderful baked creation.

• pecanne log Friday, July 16, 2010 at 6:31 am #

Thomas, did you even get to gorge on one of these?

• Thomas Wheatley Friday, July 16, 2010 at 12:06 pm #

No, I didn’t get to try any of the cakes. I was worried the ladies at Curve’s would give me hell next time I came.

3. WhiskAwayNic Friday, July 16, 2010 at 11:08 am #

UH MAZING. Send me your recipe, I want to give it a shot! Though you’ve pretty much covered all the best subjects, including Bike Shorts Man and Blondie. Maybe mine would feature Krog Street tunnel or the new face of Screen on the Green?

4. pecan kernel Friday, July 16, 2010 at 11:10 am #

i wonder if bike shorts man likes cookie cakes?

5. Christy Petterson Friday, July 16, 2010 at 1:48 pm #

A-MAZING! “Tha” BeltLine is my fave. I love that it says “2068″…hahahah!

6. rptrcub Friday, July 16, 2010 at 2:08 pm #

Wrecktastic. I love it.

7. Sara Friday, July 16, 2010 at 3:52 pm #

As one of said volunteers, I can vouch for these cookie cakes as delicious!

8. Reid Davis Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 7:27 pm #

This RULES. I’m pretty sure seeing Pittsburg (no “h”) on a cookie cake is one of the signs of the apocalypse. If not, then the inevitable Mechanicsville edition certainly is.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Atlanta-themed cookie cakes will save our fair city | atlanta.rssible.com - Friday, July 16, 2010

[...] A visual and artery-clogging tour of Atlanta’s characters and locales. [...]

2. Bits and Bobs: Judi Chicago, Avett Brothers, Facebook, Weapons of Audio, Cookie Cakes | atlanta.rssible.com - Friday, July 16, 2010

[...] Pecanne Log‘s Christa T and Creative Loafing‘s Thomas Wheatley decorated some sweet Atlanta-themed [...]