Llamas in the City

18 Feb

I wish that the word llama was pronouced “yama” like other double l’s. It would better suit the majesty of that great beast. Speaking of that great beast, there are several llamas living in a muddy backyard of some homes in Lake Claire. My husband and I have seen one before while walking the dog on this particular property, but yesterday there was a particular stink in the air and we noticed that there were at least two of them. We can’t tell if they belong to the homeowners, since it sort of looks like they share a lot behind there houses, or if maybe the llamas belong to the Horizons School, which backs up to the properties. Either way, it’s totally bizarre. It also looks a little slummy. Don’t get me wrong, I have no problems with llamas. I think they are awesome, even if they do spit, but it seems like maybe these urban llamas could possibly be a little cramped. There is no grass in their pen, just red dirt, which might be because it’s not enough room for that many llamas. I wish I could pet them.  And have them tell me what they are doing there.

In any case, I’m interested if anyone knows about these llamas and what their stories are. Maybe they are just pets, or maybe they do belong to Horizons School, which is totally bizarre and deserves it’s own blog (my husband regularly sees handwritten signs on Dekalb Avenue pointing to the school that say things like “rum and coke party”). I’ll try and snap some photos of them sometime, but I’m sort of afraid a farmer with a shot gun might charge me and tell me to get off his property.

Oh, and before I forget, these llamas are also right by the auspicious Lake Claire pool. So keep in mind that you’ll have to smell llama poop every time you go for a $1200 swim.  That seems strangely just.

Also, I do not take credit for Drama Llama. I just found that photo on Google image search, and I am in love.

drama_llama.jpg

8 Responses to “Llamas in the City”

1. Merri Williams Monday, February 18, 2008 at 3:09 pm #

I just checked the Horizons website and there *was* a photo on there of an older gentleman petting a llama. The caption read “Pictures from around school,” so possibly these two llamas *do* belong to Horizons?

2. Lori Monday, February 18, 2008 at 5:40 pm #

Those llamas have been there for a while. The property is a land trust owned by all of the surrounding homes i think and they used to have drum circles and hippie gatherings and stuff. I think there may be a sweat lodge back there too. Don;t be afraid, no one;s ever shot at me yet!

Oh, and every llama or ostrich or emu I’ve ever seen has no grass and lives in a dirt enclosure. Maybe they have allergies?

3. nikta Monday, February 18, 2008 at 8:26 pm #

um. this is weird but i think i jay walked in front of your car at ga state today! i’ve seen your pics from your blog (so cute!) and my brain thinks it was a match today. so if that was you sorry if i scared you! i was totes late for classss

4. mamalikey Monday, February 18, 2008 at 10:26 pm #

1. Thanks for the helpful info from Merri Williams and Lori. Due to Lori’s reassurance, maybe I can let Roxanne pet them someday when she’s a little bigger. But I’ll still sneak in at night just to make it more exciting.

2. Yes Nikta, I think we shared an awkward traffic moment. Seeing someone in photos and then in person…it’s too much for my incredible social retardation. Next time you jay walk in front of me, you can wave and watch me make some sort of horrifically embarrassing effort at interaction. Justin (the ball and chain) works in GCB, and since I was off work today, we took him to lunch. Mmmmm, Highland Bakery. I was flustered when I saw you, since I was about 20 minutes late due to a poo explosion that Roxanne had just before we left the house.

5. nikta Monday, February 18, 2008 at 11:04 pm #

man, the internet makes everything more awkward!

6. girl Monday, April 7, 2008 at 11:05 am #

does anyone know more about horizons school?
    because i can attend that school in august if i want (international boarding- I am from europe). the website doesnt say a lot at all, so i was looking by my own. can u tell me a little bit about it?

7. D.A. Barnwell Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 4:26 pm #

Im a student at the school ur talking about. i concur.

8. tio Friday, May 21, 2010 at 6:12 pm #

hey you, this is a wierd panet. life is totally crazy